Why Do I Need Yearly Physical Exams?
When you’re feeling healthy, it might seem less important to visit a doctor regularly for routine physical examinations. However, even if you are feeling great on the outside, it doesn’t mean that everything is working as it should on the inside. There are many disorders that often stay silent for years. That’s why physical examination at least once a year can protect you from serious illnesses in the future.
What to Expect from a Physical Exam
A physical exam is a crucial part of any doctors’ visit. It’s your one-on-one time to sit down with us and discuss any issues you might be having. Our goal is to provide counseling to address your concerns and to make sure you stay healthy.
A standard physical exam often includes:
- Your medical history: Any past health issues, as well as your family’s medical history, can provide quite a bit of insight into problems you may have in the future. Be sure to mention serious disorders, hospitalizations, allergies or any medications you are currently taking. The more information you can provide us the more comprehensive your evaluation will be.
- Your lifestyle: Your daily habits are often just as telling as your medical history when it comes to your risk of developing certain diseases. We will discuss certain factors like your diet, exercise regime, smoking and alcohol use, and sexual history. We may also ask you about vaccinations you have had.
- Your vital signs: We will check your temperature, heart rate, respiration rate, and blood pressure to make sure that everything is looking normal and healthy.
- The actual exam: Once all your vitals are taken we will thoroughly examine all areas of the body to make sure they are healthy. This exam will include:
- The heart and lungs
- Head and neck
- Nerves, reflexes, and balance
- Skin and nails
- Abdomen and bowels